30 days, 30 ways...Day 5 (and Deep Conditioning on the go)

This is a bit of a 2-for-1. A little bit of entertainment, a little bit of Kinky Hair 101.

Sunday was (a VERY public...but more on that later) wash day. I've talked about how I like to deep condition for hours at a time, but believe me, this doesn't mean I'm sitting at home or in a hairdressers under a steamer for 8 hours. I apply my deep conditioner, cover with plastic cap (well, these days its cling film or a Shoprite plastic bag, as everyone on Sunday seemed to find amusing), wrap whatever piece of cloth I can find around my head as artistically as possible, and go about my merry way.

I'll have clearer pictures when I do my post talking more about the day, but here's one for now:



Towards the end, I undid the front and tied it a different way to demonstrate versatility. Here's a shot of the back (with clingfilm shining through!):



I find this especially useful if I am working out (in which case I would just tie a simple head scarf), as the body heat from exercising speeds up the conditioning effect, and acts as an on-the-move steamer.

For headwrap and turban ideas, head to Turbanista.

Stiffer materials like Ankara tend to yield much better results, but I was in a pinch, and this black cotton shawl was all I had to hand that day.

If you're just wearing a turban for aesthetic purposes, and don't have plastic protecting your conditioner-laden hair, it is a good idea to tie a small silk or satin scarf underneath, or wear a satin bonnet, so that your hair is protected from the drying effects of the turban/headwrap material.

Day 6 coming up!

Addendum: Spurred on by Curious Kinks' comment below, I realise I should point out that, as with everything, deep conditioning for long periods does not work for everybody. Some people mention getting headaches, especially if deep-conditioning overnight. People can also end up with over-conditioned or "mushy" hair. So again, it is all about figuring out what works for you and what doesn't.

2 comments

  1. how does the conditioner not drip? mine always drips or my scalp starts to itch if i leave it on my head too long. I also wake up with headaches on days when I sleep with my DC overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Curious Kinks. Yeah as with everything, deep conditioning for long periods does not work for everybody. A lot of people mention what you say about headaches, also you can get over-conditioned/"mushy" hair. Never the case with me though.

      My conditioner doesn't drip because I tend to DC on dry hair before shampooing, and I always use a thick conditioner like Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose, which is not runny at all.

      Delete